Design in Public has openings for volunteers looking to gain valuable leadership experience planning and producing the festival. Every Seattle Design Festival program is organized and produced by committed volunteers. The Festival Core Team manages the festival as a whole and produces specific components within the Festival.
You do not need to be a design professional to help out – all skill sets are welcome!
Responsibilities vary by subcommittee, and may include:
- Working with Board of Advisors to define festival goals and strategies
- Structuring a Call for Proposals process
- Joining a subcommittee to produce a specific offering within the festival:
- Block Party, coordinating with teams and managing installation and de-installation for a 2-day outdoor festival of installations and performances
- Neighborhood spotlight(s), reaching out to target communities and curating content
- Partner programs, soliciting targeted proposals and working with program partners to fine-tune and schedule programs
- Party, planning a fabulous and fun event
- Reliable, able to deliver on commitments
- Project management, able to juggle a variety of demands working towards an event
- Collaborative, willing to step up and assist when needed
- Open, willing to listen to multiple viewpoints and diverse voices
- Supportive, willing to assist community partners in bringing their programs to life
- Passionate about design, architecture, urbanism, arts, public programming, or event management
- January through August 2020
- Bi-weekly meetings, Tuesdays from 5:30-7:00pm
- Work between meetings; commitment and timing vary depending on the sub-committee
- Significant commitment during the festival week itself
- Share your passion for design with the public!
- Gain leadership and communication skills in a non-profit setting
- Build relationships with others interested in design
- Festival t-shirt and thank-you party!
- Email Lisa Richmond with a statement of your interest and to be added to our list
- Attend our kick-off retreat Saturday, January 11 from 9am-3pm